COQUITLAM COLLEGE DURING COVID-19: Health & Safety Guidelines, information, resources & more re: studying during COVID-19 Read more

University Transfer Program

In British Columbia, our students often go on to complete degrees at post-secondary institutions such as the University of British Columbia, Simon Fraser University, the University of Victoria, the University of Northern British Columbia or Royal Roads University. For several years, our relationship with the University of British Columbia in particular has ensured the smooth transition of our students to UBC programs.

Our course content and governing regulations are modelled on British Columbia’s research universities as defined by the British Columbia Council on Admissions and Transfer (BCCAT). We regularly review both to ensure that we maintain the highest standards expected by these institutions. To see how Coquitlam College University Courses transfer to British Columbia’s universities, visit the BCCAT website.

Associate of Arts Degree

Two-year Associate of Arts Degree students who are registered in full-time coursework are eligible to work off-campus up to 20 hours per week during each academic semester and full-time during semester breaks. Upon completion of the Associate Degree, eligible students can apply for a Post Graduate Work Permit (PGWP). After the requisite period of full–time work, graduates may be eligible to apply for permanent residency.

Learn More


Admission Requirements

To enter our University Transfer Program, you must have:

  • A high school diploma or school completion certificate,
  • A vocational/technical/polytechnic diploma with a 60% or higher average, or
  • Mature student status

If your native language is not English, you may demonstrate fluency in English at the university level by submitting documents showing the minimum results on one of the following tests:

  • TOEFL IBT of 86 or 230 computer based score
  • A TOEFL score of at least 570 (paper based score) or 230 (computer based score)
  • A CAEL score of at least 60
  • An overall score of 60 on PTE with 60 on the writing component
  • IELTS:
    ENGL 099 ENGL 100 ENGL 101
    Overall 5.5 Overall 6.0 Overall 6.5
    Writing 5.5 Writing 6.0 Writing 6.5
    Reading 5.5 Reading 6.0 Reading 6.5
  • EN 12:
    ENGL 099 ENGL 100 ENGL 101
    50% – 59% 60% – 66% minimum 67% (C+)


Duolingo Score Placement Level
90-104 ENGL 099
105 and above ENGL 1XX
  • If you do not have any of the previous scores, you may be required to write the the Coquitlam College English Proficiency Test for University Transfer/Associate Degree placement.

English Placement Test dates for Summer 2022 were March 18, April 8 and April 29. Test dates for Fall 2022 will be posted soon. Please contact our main office or an Academic Advisor for information.

  • The Oxford ELLT Test may also be accepted until further notice: Oxford ELLT 5 = ENGL 099 / Oxford ELLT 6 = ENGL 101
  • Students can ask a Coquitlam College Academic Advisor for more information about English entry requirements and equivalencies.
  • Some of our programs may have additional requirements.
  • A preparatory semester or semesters of English Studies may be required to qualify for the University Transfer Program.

Speak to an Academic Advisor

Speak to an International Student Advisor

To speak directly to an advisor, call Monday to Friday:

604-939-6633 9:00am to 4:00pm(Vancouver time)
778-895-5323 4:00pm to 9:00pm(Vancouver time)

Discover your Transfer Option

To see how Coquitlam College courses transfer to British Columbia’s universities, visit the online transfer guide of the British Columbia Council of Admissions and Transfer (BCCAT).